A while back I made a quick post about a request I had to give my Mercury model the “Beamer treatment” (click here to read it). There are more details and photos below, but to make a long story short, the guitar was completed and handed off at the 2012 Montreal Guitar Show. Mark even brought his favourite vintage Fender tweed amp along so he could test drive his new baby in the hotel room!
Mark wanted to build a guitar that incorporated the colour scheme and other elements from his BMW motorcycle. So we started with my basic flat top Mercury and a BMW tank emblem and went from there! What we came up with was…
- solid korina (white limba) body, ebony fretboard
- yellow full-gloss top with black binding, matching headstock
- sides, back and neck have a hand rubbed oil finish
- inset black pearloid pickguards
- Mark specifically chose a Lollar ’50s wind P90 for the neck and a Lollar Firebird with coil split for the neck
Here are a few of the completed pictures, one of which shows a photo of Mark’s bike that inspired the project.