El Caminos on the Workbench

Here’s a partial batch of El Camino ’58s having their necks fitted.  From this point on, each neck only fits the body it’s been paired with.

Adam’s Pelham Blue ’58 model

Adam over at Satellite Amplifiers and I have been threatening to work on a project for each other for a while, but it’s finally coming together.  Adam was part of the double cut Les Paul Junior aficionados brain-trust that helped finalize the neck shape on my El Camino ’58 model.   He had an idea for a […]

Project ’58 – TV Yellow, Korina… and Gold!

If you’ve read through the previous Project ’58 blog posts, you know I set aside two of them that were destined to be TV yellow because I wasn’t happy with them.  My process for TV yellow is kind of a one shot thing because I apply pigment to the raw wood, and there’s no way to sand […]

Project ’58 – video previews

Here are a couple of quick and dirty video previews of the ’58 model.  Doug at Mountain Cat Guitars quickly put these together after assembling the first two ’58s.  I think they sound great!

Project ’58 – when life gives you lemons…

Well folks, a small change in plans has come up. I just wasn’t happy with the two TV yellow Project 58’s I had in progress (I’m really anal about stuff like applying finishes). Since I apply colour to the raw wood for TV yellow, it’s really difficult to correct a paint job I’m not happy […]

Project ’58 – TV Yellow

So the plan calls for the first batch of four Project ’58s to consist of 2 cherry red and 2 TV yellow.  It’s time to start on the yellow ones.  For my version of an old school TV finish, I wipe white pigment right onto the raw wood.

Project ’58 – Headstock logos

I just got the headstock logos for this project and they look great!  I’m catching up on build photos, so here are a few more quick snaps of necks being glued in and a quick intonation check before final sanding and paint.

Project ’58 – It Begins!

If you don’t know what Project ’58 is all about, check out this post. I’m a bit late posting this so there’s a fair bit of progress that’s taken place.  A lot of the work to date has been in creating jigs required for this model.  In some cases, my exising ones were usable and […]